Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The quote unquote Artist's Statement.

Please read.... and comment. I've done minimal editing to this, so please let me have it. Is it too much? Is it not enough?




Artist Statement - Jessica Fuchs - [j.Fuchs]

I create art as a release. I make art to be sane; I make art because I am inspired, I paint to convey emotion, I paint to conceal emotion. I really get into my art, often employing my hands over my brushes to get the ultimate connection. Some future goals of mine are rather lofty, beginning with expanding my customer and fan base. Eventually, I’d like to hold a retrospective of my life’s work in Chicago [my birthplace] and be on Oprah. I want clientele who think nothing of dropping lots of $$$ for artwork. I want nothing more than do create art for the rest of my life and get paid for it. I’m drawn to crude humor- potty jokes, fart jokes, politically incorrect, and sexual innuendos. And I’m okay with this.


My process doesn’t involve much more than an idea, a thought process [which sometimes is a creative block] and actual work. Sometimes the thought process/creative block lasts for months on a particular piece. I don’t like to proceed from there until I have a solid idea of what I’m doing, lest I fuck it up. I want to make sure I like my work, in turn, my clients like my work and ultimately that it turns out well. I really like working with recycled materials. I have re-used craft- and house- paints, canvas boards, things I’ve broken, or things that look interesting to me in their broken or worn state. I’ve also been experimenting with dried flowers- adding them to a painting or making them the main subject of my abstract pieces. In using the recycled materials in my art, I feel I am doing the world a smallish favor to make sure that little bit won’t end up in the landfills.


Right now, I’ve got a couple of projects in the pipeline. The one I’m most excited about is a series entitled ‘Things I’ve broken’. It’s a figurative and literal take on things and/or experiences in my life. I’ve yet to experience something as to work that I’ve done moves someone on a deeper level. That is a goal of mine, not just that they like it, but it moves them at the core of their being. I’m finding the more of myself I inject into my artwork, I tend to get greater responses to the work itself. My work is always in progress, never ending, always evolving.


No comments:

Post a Comment